SPCA's new animal welfare education programme teaches compassion and responsible behaviour towards animals. The programme helps children recognise that all creatures matter, not just those we regard as cute, friendly, or economically beneficial.
We have taken an evidence-based approach to inform the design and construction of our exciting new animal welfare education programme.
The programme integrates into the New Zealand Curriculum subjects our schools already teach; and communicates within real-life, meaningful contexts. When combined with effective teaching practices our pilot study has proved SPCA's resources can:
- Develop students' knowledge and understandings of animal welfare
- Support students' social and emotional development
- Support citizenship education
- Develop values and encourage empathy, compassion, a sense of responsibility and duty of care for animals
- Support teaching and learning of the NZC Learning Areas.
Whangarei SPCA also offers prearranged visits to our centre with our Educator Rachael Wyatt. If you are interested in organising a visit please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the centre on 094389161